This weekend is the celebration of the life and legacy of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King. Here are FIVE things happening in #SouthFlorida in commemoration of the civil rights icon.
1. Liberty City’s 45th Annual MLK Parade starts at 11 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 17, from Northwest 54th St. and 10th Ave. to 32nd Ave. It follows the 8-mile stretch King once traveled in Miami.
2. Miami Gardens Vice Mayor Reggie Leon is calling vocalists and wannabe vocalists out for the MLK Community Karaoke: Lift Every Voice & Sing Edition. It will take place at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 15, at the Betty T. Ferguson Amphitheater, 3000 Northwest 199th St., Miami Gardens.
3. At Historic Virginia Key Beach in Miami, Melanation and Rock Da Block (RBD) will be hosting a beach party titled Martin Luther Key Day. Nicknamed the ‘Black Beach Experience” attendees are invited to enjoy music, beach vibes and BBQ. It’s free to attend and only $8 to park. For more information visit @rockdablockshow Instagram page.
4. Miramar will be celebrating King’s birthday with a parade caravan, starting at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 17, at the Miramar Mutli-Service Complex, 6700 Miramar Parkway, Miramar.
5. Pompano Beach’s MLK Parade will start at 7:30 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 17, at Blanche Ely High School, followed by a celebration at Mitchell Moore Park, 901 Northwest 10th St. There will be live music, family events, food trucks, vendors, games and rides.
📝 By #HyloNews Writer Nyam Daniel @Nyamsaysso