By Adam Ahi Senior
TAXATUDE – noun | tax-a-tude|
1. The changing of one’s attitude because it’s tax season and they’re expecting a nice size refund. (Term created by Adam Ahi Senior)
We’ve noticed that the many people have major Taxatudes right now because they’ve gotten their refunds deposited. There’s been a surge in “call outs” from work, Louis Vuitton purchases and cars with paper tags because of it.
Before you spend all them stacks, Hy-Lo News collaborated with a popular Carol City based social media comedian, Adam Ahi Senior, for a list of Dos and Don’ts on how to spend your tax refund.
- Don’t spend all your damn money on a car and don’t have enough to purchase car insurance.
- Ladies, don’t start talking shit acting like you don’t need a man (Taxatude). $3,800 ain’t gone last forever.
- Fellas, don’t put rims on that raggedy ass Box Chevy, get your window and AC fixed first… And if you don’t have a car, “DON’T GO GET ONE THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD!” That repo man gone be on yo ass again this year.
- Don’t be trying to eat at all these expensive ass restaurants when you know you a Wendy’s 4-4-4 type of hoe. (Fellas are hoes too).
- Don’t let a dude tell you he gone flip yo tax refund, he’s lying.
- Don’t be bouncing all hard in the club making it rain knowing damn well your light bill past due.
- Ladies Don’t go get your tummy tucked if you ain’t gone have enough money for a new wardrobe to match that newly bought body. Yo ass will be wearing baggy clothes until next year.
- Please DON’T go out buying stuff you can’t afford all year long. For example, if your kids have been wearing Route 66 all this time, don’t super upgrade them to True Religion.
- Ladies Don’t go buying a $700 lacefront wig and wear that shit so long that it starts to look like it’s growing from your itchy scalp. It’s still ok to rock a wrap sus.
- Don’t put any items on Layaway at Citi Trends. Hell, I’m not sure why you’d lay away anything since you have the money to pay for it now.
- Don’t take your dude shopping and “forget” to take your kids shopping as well.
- Don’t fallout with your friends just because you don’t want to pay them what you owe them. Yo broke ass gone need them again.
- Do Not, I REPEAT DO NOT QUIT YOUR FUCKIN JOB! That ain’t even enough money to get you through three months of bills.
- Buy Lil Pernell a bed before you buy him some Jordans. He can’t sleep on them shits.
- Do put at least 60% of your refund away in a savings account to use for future large purchases such as a house or investment property.
- Do take them kids to Disney World or something. Shiddddd that’s they’re money too! It won’t hurt to spend the money on a memorable family experience. Kids remember experiences more than things.
- Keep selling them dinners you been selling and take that shit seriously. Use the money for startup costs to finally start that business you’ve been dreaming of creating. Or invest in your business if it already exists.
- Do travel somewhere you always wanted to go.
- Do invest the money so it can yield a return.
- Do pay that Rent-A-Center stuff off. I know you tired of dodging them people. And pay off that “buy here pay here” car note.
- Do put some tires on your car. I know you tired of them “maypops”. (Ain’t no telling when them tires may pop).
- DO Treat yourself— don’t go overboard– BUT treat yourself. You deserve it.
- When you get down to your last thousand dollars, Do let your boyfriend flip it.
Salute to the Facebook friends of Adam who inspired this list as well from one of his Facebook posts. Chime in the comments below and tell us some “Dos and Don’ts” that we missed.